The complete beginner’s guide to testing – Brought to you by NodeGraph
Hello and welcome to our complete beginner’s guide to testing. Scroll through our infographic to find out what testing is, why you should be doing it, and how NodeGraph’s Data Quality Manager can help you test your Qlik environment. Click anywhere on the infographic to request a personalized demo from our team of experts today!
DISCLAIMER: We have also included a transcript of the infographic at the bottom of the page for those of you who prefer that format. Enjoy!
What is testing?
In its most basic form, testing entails validating elements of your business intelligence solution as a means of assuring high data quality – securing that actual results match expected results. Testing, as opposed to debugging, involves identifying undetected errors, allowing you to always stay one step ahead.
Popular types of testing
- Application testing validates 3 components of app creation, i.e. data, processes & output
- ETL testing focuses on ensuring the quality of each ETL step (i.e. Extract, Transform, and Load)
- Regression testing ensures that the infrastructure remains intact following new changes
Click here to read the full article “What is testing? (A closer look at data testing)”
Why test your data?
- Consistency: Testing ensures that data is consistent throughout the entire organization. (Is your static data constant? Is data harmonious throughout your BI solution? Is your BI logic consistent and unchanged?)
- Currency: Is your BI solution updated, reloaded, and up-to-date?
- Reasonableness: Is your BI solution reasonable, accurate, and valid?
Click here to read on about data testing benefits in”Why test your data? An exploration of the benefits of testing.”
How to test in Qlik
NodeGraph’s testing capabilities help you ensure that your Qlik Solution is consistent, current, and reasonable. NodeGraph can analyze your data in three different stages of transformation:
- Raw (/Input) Data: NodeGraph makes sure that your static data remains unchanged and consistent, that your data is properly reloaded, and that new data has reasonable values.
- Logic: NodeGraph ensures that your business logic and transformations are up to par. Ex. Is your logic consistent over time and is it compatible with new changes and data?
- Output: NodeGraph can test your Qlik Sense apps (i.e. dimensions, expressions, and values) and/or test your data source values against values in your presentation layer.
NodeGraph also offers baseline test capabilities, i.e. standardized benchmark tests that can be reused as a testing reference point. This allows for effective quality assurance without constantly setting up new tests!
Click here to read more about “Testing in Qlik”
Get Started Today
Do you want to learn more about testing in Qlik? Then request a personalized demo of our Data Quality Manager today by clicking below.
(Or check out our recent webinar -“The beginner’s guide to testing in Qlik – Brought to you by NodeGraph“)